Inspired by Momofuku Milk Bar’s own Compost Cookies, these pantry cookies begin with a simple base, then any add-ins you can scrounge in your pantry. The result is a delicate, sweet + salty cookie with tons of texture, and endless pantry possibilities.
Today, I have found chocolate chips, chopped hazelnuts, tortilla chips, coffee, and honey cookies. Since we are just coming off of Halloween, I also have some candies that I’m throwing into the mix as well (from the post-Halloween 50% off section). Some of my other favorite mix-ins for this cookie recipe have been:
- Pretzels (esp. the peanut-butter filled ones!)
- Potato chips
- Graham crackers
- Dried fruit (esp. cranberries)
- Toasted oats
- Other toasted nuts (esp. walnuts)
Total Time: 35 Minutes Active Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: About 1 dozen cookies
140g butter, room temperature
60g granulated sugar
70g brown sugar
100g all-purpose flour
20g buckwheat flour (or another flour is fine, even corn-meal is ok)
6g ground coffee, medium grind (Baratza Encore grind: #17)
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 egg (about 50g), room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
Roughly 130g Crispy Crunchy Mix-Ins (chips, nuts, crackers, etc)*
Roughly 130g Other Mix-Ins (chocolate chips, candies, dried fruit)*
1. Prep Oven & Baking Sheets. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Prep your Mix-Ins. Place all crispy crunchy bits (chips, pretzels, crackers, toasted nuts, etc) into a ziploc bag and crush using a rolling pin or hands until sand-like texture. Cut other mix-ins into bite sized pieces if needed.
3. Assemble the Base. Cream together butter and sugars in a mixer on medium speed. While butter and sugars are creaming, in a separate bowl, whisk together flours, coffee, salt, and baking soda.
Once butter and sugar is incorporated, add the egg and vanilla extract to emulsify into mixture. Then, lower mixing speed and slowly stir in dry ingredients until dough base is formed, about 30 seconds.
4. Stir in your Mix-Ins. Mix until everything is dispersed evenly in the final dough.
5. Portion and Bake. Portion cookies (~50g each) and place onto baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake cookies in oven for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Allow to cool, then enjoy! Flaky sea salt is optional, but always welcome.
*No more than 300g of mix-ins total, otherwise the batter will be too thick 😦
Today’s mix-ins: 30g hazelnuts / 60g honey cookies / 40g tortilla chips / 50g bitterswt choc chunks / 85g Reese’s
Another good combo: 85g crushed graham crackers / 60g peanut butter pretzels / 40g sea salt potato chips / 50g bitterswt choc chunks